Matt leads our Agency practice. He enjoys concentrating on complicated and challenging service-connection claims such as herbicide exposure (especially outside of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Korean DMZ), asbestos exposure, military sexual trauma, intervening weight gain, sleep apnea as a secondary condition, post-traumatic stress disorder (combat and non-combat), and total disability based on individual unemployability.
After graduating from law school, Matt volunteered with AmeriCorps to assist low-income veterans under the NC VetsCorps program at Legal Aid of North Carolina. He was involved with LANC’s Second Chance Employment and Housing Project. He worked at Legal Aid of North Carolina with the Veterans Practice Group. Matt helped plan monthly expunction clinics at the Durham VA Medical Center and volunteered as the Supervising Attorney for the Duke University School of Law’s student-led Veteran’s Assistance Project.
Matt has conducted nearly a dozen public and attorney training sessions on VA claims issues. He is the current President of the National Law School Veterans Clinic Consortium and is a past-Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Military & Veterans Law Section.
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Accredited VA Representative
- Elon University School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Appalachian State University, B.S., Criminal Justice, 2006
Professional & Community Affiliations
- National Law School Veterans Clinic Consortium (NLSVCC)
- President, Board of Directors (2021 – Present)
- Secretary, Board of Directors (2019 – 2020)
- Co-Chair, Advocacy Committee (2019 – 2020)
- North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA)
- Secretary, Military & Veterans Law Section (MVLS)
- Chair, Military & Veterans Law Section
- Vice-Chair, Military & Veterans Law Section
- National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates
Honors & Awards
- Kirk Warner Award for Distinguished Service to the Military and Veterans, NCBA MVLS (2020)
- Tom Reed Award for Solid Veterans Law Advice, NLSVCC (2020)Certificate of Gratitude, Duke Law Office of Public Interest and Pro Bono (2017)Certificate of National Service, AmeriCorps (2014)